International Students (I-20)
A person who is a citizen of a country other than the United States and is requesting full-time admission to Waubonsee Community College is considered an international student. Persons requesting international status at Waubonsee for entry or continued stay in the United States must be doing so for educational purposes only. To apply for international student status, this person must:
- Submit an Application for Status as International Student (I-20/F-1 status). Application packets are available from the Graduate/Credentials Analyst (see right for contact information). Applications and all supporting documents must be received by the following deadlines: July 1 for fall semester, Nov. 1 for spring semester and April 1 for summer semester.
- If the student’s native language is NOT English, he/she must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and attain a minimum score of 500 (paper-based) or 173 (computer-based) or 61 (Internet-based) on the examination. For information on the test, write TOEFL Services, Educational Testing Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA, or visit the TOEFL website.
- Complete the Educational Background forms and submit transcripts from high school and college or the equivalent. If the transcripts are NOT from a United States high school or college, they must be submitted for evaluation at the applicant’s expense by an approved credential evaluator. Contact: Educational Credential Evaluators, P.O. Box 514070, Milwaukee, WI 53202-3470 or at the ECE website.
- Present the Immigration and Naturalization Service Affidavit of Support form (I-134). This form must be completed by a resident of the United States. The statement is necessary in recognition of the fact that the college does not provide food, housing, health or transportation services.
The Graduate/Credentials Analyst will notify the applicant of admission approval or denial after the deadlines listed above. If accepted, the necessary U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) form (I-20) will be forwarded to the student with instructions for submission and enrollment at the college.
If approved for international student status, a person must observe the following:
- enroll each semester in a minimum of 12 semester hours;
- pay international tuition rates;
- follow the standard academic and disciplinary policies of the college.
Some international students who attend U.S. four-year colleges or universities may choose to enroll in a course or two at Waubonsee during the summer semester. These students should first seek approval from the international student office at their current college, but they do NOT need to transfer their I-20. International summer students should complete Waubonsee's New Student Information Form as a part-time/non-degree-seeking student, using nine "3"s as their Social Security Number if they don't have one.
Route 47 at Waubonsee Drive
Sugar Grove, IL 60554